About Granny Mouse
Granny Mouse Country House and Spa is in the magnificent Caversham Valley in Balgowan and surrounded by 52 acres of gardens overlooking conservancy areas on the Lion's River. This classic country house hotel with its reputation for excellence is located an hour and a half from Durban and four and a half hours from Johannesburg.
Award winning restaurants offer a range of menu items from relaxed Bistro though to Fine Dining in the Eaves restaurant. The refurbished property has retained its reputation for a relaxed gourmet experience, whilst introducing new menus and concepts to diners.
Granny Mouse is the proud holder of a Diners Club Winelist "Diamond Award" for their 2010 winelist. This follows on from the 2009 & 2008 Platinum Awards. The chefs are renowned for creating pairing menus which can be served in the intimate setting of the wine cellar or one of the restaurants. The evening is ended in the newly launched smoking lounge - Cigar - which is gaining a reputation for its single malts and range of Cigars.
Weddings and Conferences are also offered - catering to groups of people up to 150 whilst at all time maintaining service excellence and the little personal touches that create the memories. The Chapel with valley views provides the perfect setting to tie the knot.
The accommodation offers Garden Rooms which face onto the gardens and Deluxe Rooms and Suites which overlook the Lion's River. Honeymoon packages are available to celebrate special occasions.
The Granny Mouse Spa has been refurbished and has three couples rooms with treatments ranging from skincare through to therapeutic massage, supported by a steam room, Jacuzzi, reike, yoga and Pilates. Therapists also offer a full make up service are supported by the Hair Salon for special events.
- A Bistro restaurant
- Fine Dining restaurant
- Wine cellar and bar
- Wedding venue & chapel
- Spa and wellness centre with gym
- Conference facilities
- Swimming pool
- Plenty of safe parking
- River walks
- Newspaper available on request
- Fax / Photocopying / E-mail
- Currency exchange (limited)
- Major credit cards accepted
Nearby activities/ attractions:
- Day Tours (uKhahlamba-Drakensberg / Sani Pass / Midlands Meander)
- Rock art tours
- Karkloof Canopy Tours
- Quad biking
- Clay-pigeon shooting
- Horse riding / Horse whispering
- Hot-air ballooning
- Sporting action (Midmar Mile/ schools’ rugby/ Amashova Cycle Race
- Sporting action (Comrades Marathon / Dusi Canoe Marathon)
- Drakensberg Boys’ Choir
- Hilton Arts Festival
- Leisurely walks down the river to the waterfall
- Relaxing under the willows on the common
- Trout fishing
- Spa treatments
Bars and Restaurants
The Eaves Restaurant:
Please Note: No children under 12 years old permitted. Contemporary South African menu, Locally sourced farm fresh and organic (where possible) ingredients. Seats a maximum of 50 people. Open in the evenings. Open on Sundays and Public Holidays for lunch
The Bistro Restaurant:
Children welcome. Open seven days a week for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Vegetarian options always available. Same menu can be enjoyed on the pool deck. Same menu available to all in house guests from Room Service. May be booked as a separate venue for up to 75 people with menus designed to suit the event.
Over 4 000 bottles of South African and international wine. Temperature controlled underground cellar. Dining area for 8 provides for private parties, wine tastings and wine & food pairings.
We offer treatments for all preferences:
- Beauty treatments
- Steam room
The Granny Mouse spa uses Matis as their spa product combined with aromatherapeutic treatment products. They also do make-up for special occasions and also offer a full hairdressing service.
- Caversham Room - seating 130 and includes a dance floor
- The Camelia Room - seating 30 and (popular for corporate and private functions)
- The Eaves Restaurant - seating 50 indoors and 30 outside on the deck
- The Chapel in the pine forest – seating 120 (used for dinners and events)
- The Mouse & Lion bar, Cigar and other lounges are also available for use by guests for breakaway purposes